Destin and surrounding areas in Northwest Florida have become popular tourist destinations for year-round travel due to moderate temperatures in the “off-season” and easy travel for Southeast vacationers. While summer is definitely the busiest time for the Emerald Coast, spring break and fall break are also great times to visit and offer cooler temps, less crowds and often lower prices! Fall break is a gap on school calendars usually scheduled in October bringing families and college kids to the area for one last hoorah before the holidays. We welcome our fall break visitors and hope to see you on the water with Xtreme H2O Sports, as we are open all year!
October is commonly referred to as the favorite month of the year among locals and returning guests to the panhandle. Fewer crowds and less traffic offer better opportunities to sightsee along the coast. The slower season often means lower prices for accommodations and activities and definitely shorter lines shopping and dining! The weather is perfect with cooler evenings yet the water is still warm enough to enjoy swimming pools and the Gulf of Mexico.
Xtreme H2O Sports appreciates the surge in business that comes with fall break and invites travelers to take advantage of lower rates during the off-season but the same fun activities that are offered all year! Our team of locals came up with a list of “must dos” for you and your family to enjoy fall break:
Fall Break Bucket List for Families
- Destin Fishing Rodeo – Join in the festivities October 1-31st for the 73rd Annual Destin Fishing Rodeo, a month-long fishing tournament celebrated on the Destin Harbor. Book a fishing charter or participate every day as a spectator at the weigh-ins on the docks.
- Crab Island – No trip to Destin, Florida is complete without seeing Crab Island. Rent a boat and hit up the most popular tourist destination in the panhandle. Be sure to pack your cooler, towel and sunscreen and picnic for a fun day on the water. Water is still warm enough to enjoy snorkeling and swimming, so bring the floats and enjoy soaking in the sun!
- Rocktober – Harborwalk Village hosts several concerts free to the public every Saturday in October at 7 PM followed by fireworks at 9 PM. Enjoy fun, family festivities on the docks to include dinner as well at one of their awesome waterfront restaurants.
- Museums – Destin and the surrounding areas are rich with local history that are displayed at Destin Fishing Museum, Indian Temple Mound Museum, the Gulfarium and Air Force Armament Museum. Especially great activities to explore on rainy or cooler days at the beach!
- Sunset – Our autumn sunsets are the best as the sun sets over the water this time of year. Enjoy a sunset cruise, dine on the harbor and/ or a walk on the beach to capture these beautiful sunsets and don’t forget your camera! Book a professional photographer to remember forever.
- Amusement rides – Family go-kart racing, bumper boat spraying and mini-golf tournaments offered at the Track in Destin, Florida. The park is conveniently located, clean and the staff is awesome!
- Parasailing Destin – Get the best view of the beach parasailing with the family. Take advantage of lower prices in shoulder season for this exciting coastal activity. Fun and safe for all, ages 6 and over (spectators on boat are welcome age 3 and up). Parasailing can be enjoyed all year with take-off and landing directly on the boat so getting wet is entirely up to you!
- Art Festivals – Destin attracts artists and enthusiasts from all over the world every October for annual events; Artsquest Fine Art Festival and Mattie Kelly Art Foundation’s Festival of the Arts.
- Jet Ski Experience – Explore Destin by water on Jet Skis. Ride throughout the Choctawhatchee Bay, the Destin Harbor and East Pass to discover Okaloosa Island, Norriego Point, Crab Island and more. Jet Skis are easy and safe to operate and a blast to ride! Xtreme H2O Sports has 2 locations offering rentals. Check out their exciting Dolphin Tour via Jet Skis scheduled daily with one of our crew guiding the group.
- Hiking – Autumn is celebrated for the change of seasons and Destin and surrounding areas have awesome trails and parks to experience…off the beaten path. Check out Henderson State Park in Destin and click here to view several other hiking destinations close by.
Pack your bags and head to Destin this month and check out Autumn at the beach!